Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pre-Writing Technique-Thesis Statement

24th January 2011

What’s a thesis statement????
-After you have brainstormed and you have some main ideas of what you would like to write in your essay, you can begin thinking about writing a thesis statement.
-A thesis statement is a complete sentence that contains one main idea.  This idea controls the content of the entire essay.  A thesis statement that contains subpoints also helps a reader know how the essay will be organized. Look at the introductory paragraph below.  See if you can identify the thesis statement and subpoints.
  
 
Example :
When I was young, I always knew that I wanted to become a teacher someday.  When I played, I would often gather my dolls together and pretend to teach them how to do math problems or how to read a book.  As I grew older, my desire to become an ESL teacher became clearer as I did some volunteer teaching overseas and in the United States.  As I look back on my reasons for becoming a teacher, there are three reasons that stand out.  They are: my love for the English language, my innate interest in how people learn, and my desire to help other people .
As I look back on my reasons for becoming a teacher, there are three reasons that stand out.
The thesis statement contains the main idea that controls the content of the essay.

They are: my love for the English language, my innate interest in how people learn, and my desire to help other people . -

Subpoints in the thesis or nearby help the reader know how the essay will be organized

can change to > There are some reasons why I want to becoming a teacher

 DONE! ^_^



No comments:

Post a Comment